Mended and Torn - Quotes, Character Talk, and Excitement

QUICK THING: True Colors, the cover by Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick (from the movie Trolls although the original was by Cyndi Lauper) is GORGEOUS and I like it so much better than Lauper's original version. The harmonies, the guitar, everything is much more emotion-evoking and meaningful. If you want to hear it, here are the links for the Film Version and the Professional Recording both are gorgeous and I suggest you give them a listen.

As we get closer to my book being able to be bought (look here for more info on that), I figured I should share some quotes and stuff about it.

First off, lets start with some aesthetic quotes.

Harper's life makes me both sad and happy


Jace is my darling son - he's turned out a lot sweeter than I had originally planned but THAT'S FINE



my book isn't all sad... just mainly sad


little bb Olivia makes a cameo - except my eyes are like a weird shade of green that changes color literally based on my mood so


SO THERE YA GO! A tase of my writing and some quotes (they're all in chronological order, btw). I've really enjoyed writing this story and I kinda don't want the series to end. I've felt that way as a reader, but as a writer it seems stronger in some way. The way I see it, I created this world. I created these characters, this organization, and I know that they'll go on without me when the series is over. I know who Harper will marry, I know what Katy will name her son, I know how Jace dies, I know how Jormoo becomes part of a family and has a normal(ish) life. I know how their stories end, but I have to end the series at this point because otherwise it would go on too long with too little excitement.

Okay, lets give a bit of background on my characters! They can tell you about themselves, but for now I'm gonna tell you who they are, when I created them, and the changes they've undergone.

Jace

My smol Brit. I love him. He's always been Jace, there has been no debate over his name. But originally he was a cocky, broody little child who hated everything but loved Harper. He was in my first ever copy of Mended and Torn (from 2010 and back then called Spy School with a completely different plot and different everything really). After I wrote the first draft of Mended and Torn, I realized that I didn't like him. Not that he was a mean person and I hated him in that aspect, but the way I wrote him--the movements he made, the words he said, how he said the words he said--none of them seemed right. It, oddly enough didn't seem like him. So I did a re-write for the scenes he was in, and ended up with the Jace I have now--much more sensitive, much more calm. He's not this broody son I had in mind. Yes, he is broody at times, but now he has a reason to be broody and he's actually really hurting but he's really sensitive. He's that one person who is there for everyone all the time, making sure everyone's okay, but no one (until Harper) sees if he's okay. His relationship with Harper wasn't instant BFF like I had originally planned. It was a slow, gradual growth of respect for her that then morphed into friendship and partnership.

Harper

Why didn't I put her first since she's the protagonist and narrator? I dunno. I just love Jace and he was the first character that came to my mind. Harper was originally Harper York, from a story where she was the descendant of Sherlock Holmes (Conan Doyle's version). She wasn't meant to be a spy, she was meant to be a detective. In fact, she wasn't even in Spy School. I came up with her in late 2014. Her story wasn't clicking, her character didn't seem to fit as a Brit. So, when I had the dream that gave me the plot line for Mended and Torn, I decided "yes this story will fit her". So she became the protagonist and became a real person. She clicked, her backstory became so clear to me, and instantly I knew why she was the queen of blackmail. I was worried how she would work with Jace, but when they were in a scene together it was perfect.

Jess

Like Harper, she was originally in the Sherlock story. She hasn't changed a bit, except for the fact that she is now a Chinese/Irish/French American instead of a Brit.


Those are the few that I'm going to talk about because, to be honest, they're the only ones I care about. I love all my characters, but I love these three the most (plus Jormoo but he's very secret so you don't get to know about him).

YEY! Thank you for reading through all of this, I'm sorry if it was long.

Have your characters changed as you write? Have characters you wanted to love ended up as idiots, or the other way around? Talk to meh!

~ Olivia Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Snake and The Wolf

Super Secret-But-Not-Really-Cuz-I-Kinda-Already-Mentioned-It-Earlier Special Book Announcement!

Tips for Underwriters