when the well runs dry

What do we do when the well runs dry?
When the rain stops falling,
When the brook ceases it's chatter,
When the ocean dissipates,
What do we do then?
Do we dig deeper wells, hoping that some small amount of water will be there?
Do we force ourselves to give up and accept the drought?
The choice varies for each:
Social standing,
Personality,
Motive,
All influence one's decision.
But the one common thread is
Choice.

I've lately been finding that I have been running out of ideas. One of my favorie things to do is come up with story prompts. I have a word document filled with them, filled with ideas and stories that I've only got the first parts to and that I know I'll write one day. Same with blogging.

But as time goes by I find myself struggling to come up with new ideas. New prompts don't interest me, I can't think about what to blog... my creative well has run dry. And me, being the person who needs to be working on something at all times or else she will go crazy, doesn't like this.

We've all experienced this, that much is true. But I've never been in such a creative drought before. The sequel to my book isn't interesting me–and I even have it planned out, which usually helps with what I want to do.

I've found that music helps. I've found that watching youtube videos abut writing helps. I've found that sitting in my room and staring at the ceiling at 3 am helps.

I force myself to write, I force myself to work. This is my job, this is my profession, and if I can't work on something I love and use to sustain myself, then I don't know what I've come to.

There really was no reason for this post, I'm just very out of it and I don't have any ideas, so here is this.

~Olivia Ann

Comments

  1. Did you write the poem? It stopped me in my tracks, and quite honestly took my breath away.

    I'm sorry you're in a drought. But I will tell you, it's just that - a drought. Your inner well of creativity won't stay dry forever! Just hold on to what you have, and cherish the ideas you do have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did! And thank you so much, I don't really feel comfortable with my poetry so it really helps to know that you enjoy it.

      And I've actually broken out of the drought recently! I've come up with so many more ideas for novels. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Snake and The Wolf

Super Secret-But-Not-Really-Cuz-I-Kinda-Already-Mentioned-It-Earlier Special Book Announcement!

Tips for Underwriters