from the page to the stage

I'm an author. I've got a book published, I've got 41 planned, and I write more than I probably should.

I'm also an actor. I find solace on stage, in the lives of other people who I get to be--even if it is just for six hours on the weekend.

So, inevitably, these two worlds would collide.

They first collided when I started looking at colleges. I wanted to be an actor... but I also wanted to be an author. So I settled on an Theatre major with a Writing minor.

They most recently collided a few weeks ago on Saturday, when I found some old stories I had written. They weren't the best (they ranged from me at 6 years old to me at 15), but one thing that I found was a one-act script I wrote for Creative Writing my Sophomore year of high school. It was actually pretty good! I mean, I had some awkward sentences and some sage directions were confusing, but it was good.

And that's when it hit me: I'm gonna write a play.

Not just for the sake of writing a play, but because I wanted to--and I knew exactly where I'd perform it.

My school.

Every year, the theatre seniors put on a play called the "Senior Showcase". It's directed, blocked, cast by seniors. And next year, I'm going to be a senior.

So I'm gonna write a senior showcase play.

And that's exactly what I started doing on February 4th. I decided to write a play and within an hour I had a plot and a character list.

Writing a play isn't as easy as writing a book--not that writing a book is easy. Honestly, it's just as difficult as a play. But a play is more difficult all because of the format. You have stage directions, scene descriptions, lines, lighting and sound cues--it's so chaotic.

But all worth it.

This was really short, I know. I just wanted to share this with everyone because I am very excited.

~Olivia Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Snake and The Wolf

Super Secret-But-Not-Really-Cuz-I-Kinda-Already-Mentioned-It-Earlier Special Book Announcement!

Tips for Underwriters