young entrepreneurs

Olivia where have you been!?

I am sorry for my un-expected hiatus these last two weeks. It started because I put off writing and scheduling a blog post and then I got way too busy with rehearsals and such (in fact, this week is tech week and some cast members still don't know their lines so I'm going crazy) so I ended up not doing any writing––in my blog or in my book.

I know, I know––I've thrown myself off my schedule, I've neglected my children and I'm really sorry for that.

Anyways! Onto the actual topic.

Being a teen entrepreneur.



I myself am one––I'm writing books (therefore starting my own business kinda), I'm preparing to launch my acting career (and maybe a YouTube channel), and I'm only 16 (almost 17).

And people often write us off as kids that are in a "phase."

*TANGENT* I cannot tell you how much I hate the phrase "Oh, it's just a phase."

But the thing is, if we are saying "we want to start a business, we want to make a difference", I'm fairly certain that it's not just a phase. This is something that not many people get, the urge to make a difference at such a young age. And if we do, you gotta pause and think and ask "hey, could they be serious?"

I found a person on Instagram (@presentprosperity) who is a teen entrepreneur. They are starting a clothing line, and, when it releases, is going to give 10% of each sale to various charities. That's fantastic!

Lilly Singh (iiSuperwomanii) started her YouTube channel in 2011, when she was 23. Now, that's not teen––but it's pretty close. And originally, she didn't have  a plan to become an entrepreneur. But her channel grew and she became amazingly popular. And with that popularity, she decided to do amazing things (#GirlLove).

The thing is: people write off our dreams and goals and our work simply because we're young and we can't make decisions about our lives (which is interesting because they force us to chose our careers the moment we graduate high school).

The thing is, we're ingenuitive. We're used to working around road blocks.

So work around those road blocks. Because all in all, I'm fairly certain that we'll do better work than those people who have lived in the world and accepted the road blocks.

Just because we're young doesn't mean we can't do great things. So don't submit to the "you're young, therefore you don't know what you're talking about" mentality.

You're young. You're smart. If you've got a business or charity or any idea at all that holds your interest and heart, fricking follow it and see it to completion.

~Olivia Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Secret-But-Not-Really-Cuz-I-Kinda-Already-Mentioned-It-Earlier Special Book Announcement!

The Snake and The Wolf

Tips for Underwriters